Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Teaching Ideas We Are THANKFUL for! {Melissa from Mrs. Dailey's Classroom}


I love this time of year for several reasons... the change of the season... warm sweaters... boots... brushing a million pieces of fur off of Shilah, our Husky {not!} and THANKSgiving! This time of year also reminds me to s.t.o.p. and thinking about all that I am thankful for at home and at school.

Today I'll be sharing about a teaching idea that I am most thankful for and proud of because it is working well for me and most importantly, my students this year...

Drum Roll... I am THANKFUL for Interactive Word Walls!
I started this year off by differentiating the words I wanted to use. That's why the words are different colors.
I prepped the words by printing, laminating, cutting, and putting magnetic tape on the back of them. Yes, it was a little bit of a chore, but it should last me a long time and allows the kids to take them off of the wall when needed! 
I got a large roll of magnet tape which you can get here if you need one!
This little girl wanted to use the word "carefully" in her writing. 
She came to the board, took it, brought it to her seat, and then returned the word when she was done with it for others to use it! It almost seems magical when the students get into the rhythm and you start seeing how they incorporate the words into their writing {and speaking}!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on word walls and how you use them in your classroom!
My word wall is such a staple for me in my classroom and I am so thankful for it!








3 comments:

  1. How did you decide which words to put on your word wall? How did you color code them? We are working on making WW more effective at our school and I'd love to hear more! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa!
      I colored coded them by the levels according to the FRY word lists. I made them on cards and printed the first 3 levels on blue. Then, I printed the second 3 levels on yellow. I am not going above those levels for now. These words are available in my store. Check here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Melissa-Dailey/Category/Dolch-Fry-Word-Lists

      The pink cards correlate with a program I am using called Jargon Journal which another seller makes and the words can be found in our shared reading book for the week.

      Thanks for your interest!
      <3 Melissa
      http://mrsdaileysclassroom.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete