Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Turkey Time Traditions {with Kim from For a Love of Teaching}


I can't believe that Thanksgiving has come and gone so quickly! It seems like just yesterday I was starting a new school year, and now I'm switching gears to get ready for Christmas! Has your year flown by as fast as mine has? 

I know Thanksgiving is over, but I have several traditions to share with you ranging from a favorite classroom activity to our family and home traditions. Be sure to pin some of these ideas to save for later!

In the Classroom

In the classroom, we have a tradition of writing Turkey Tall Tales. My 4th graders always loved this writing activity. It never failed to get their creative juices flowing, because tall tales are so much fun to write and read! It also makes the perfect November bulletin board, or wall/door display.

Click to PIN for next year!

I also LOVE to go to my daughters classroom to see her Thanksgiving play each year. At our school, it's definitely a tradition for grades Kindergarten through Second to perform a Thanksgiving play for parents. Since she is in 2nd grade this year, it is probably the last Thanksgiving play I'll get to see her in which made it even more special!

I loved her writing about her favorite Thanksgiving memories with our family!

In the Computer Lab

Since I've taken on the new role of Technology Facilitator at my school I get to help teachers in so many ways! This year I created PowerPoint Slideshows for each classroom in grades Kindergarten through Second. Each student created their own turkey in KidPix, told me what they were most thankful for, and then I recorded their voice saying what they were thankful for onto each slide. Teachers used these to show parents before or during their classroom Thanksgiving plays. They turned out so cute! The teachers, parents, and students loved them! I feel certain that this will become a tradition!


At Home

My daughter, Korah loves to help me in the kitchen. It's a family tradition (and always a request from other family members) to make Oreo Cookie Cake with turkeys on top! Korah loves to use Oreos and leftover Candy Corn to make the cutest little turkeys to put on the top of our cake. I know it's not a traditional Thanksgiving dessert, but it's always a hit with the kids and adults, too!


These bottom pictures were taken 3 years ago. She's grown so much, and still helps me today!


On the Road

For me, Thanksgiving is a time to get together with family. It's really our first BIG family get together for the year. Everyone tries to be there, and we all bring a dish or two to share. We hit the road early on Thanksgiving day to visit family and obviously stuff ourselves with turkey and all the fixings. 


Last year it snowed on Thanksgiving day and the kids built a snowman after we ate! 


And last...

It's a family tradition to put up our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. As soon as Thanksgiving is over the fall decorations come down, and the Christmas decorations go up! After the tree is decorated we kick and watch a Christmas movie together. Christmas is my favorite time of the year!



No comments:

Post a Comment